Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Practice makes perfect

Jasmin Obadencio
12/7/11
RFD3


Practice makes perfect

Good Morning to all graduates here today. You’ve succeeded with flying colors and now off to the real world. As you all should know, you are now leaders to those who look up to you for guidance, support, and recognition. Now that you can call yourselves adults, you will be taking on another realm of responsibilities. Your job is to prosper with all skills and knowledge earned, but before you do so, I hope you all keep in mind honesty. Honesty will become more essential in the quality of your lives as it will present itself for you to take control of. Remember, honesty is an earned character. Lying will only indicate failure and you will find that your needs are at a bottomless pit which addresses my topic today. [THESIS] As children, we developed the power of language that led us to manipulate words using our imagination. That is why it is vital for all children brought into this world to succumb to honesty and its up to you to make it possible. [THESIS]

Lying can be a fast escape from any situation, but lying leads to selfish character. Relationships collapse and right from wrong become skewed. All of this starts at the root, children. In a recent study, children lie as young as 4 or 5 years of age. They begin to lie without consciously knowing they are until later when they understand the concept. Therefore, it’s seen as harmless. “ They don’t seem to need instructions on lying; they don’t need encouragement to do so” (Quek). Lying is part of human nature and easy to perfect when abused. Babies, who are once born, already embed in their minds what’s heard in their environment. They reach an age when they begin to mimic vocabulary you use, so it is vital to choose your words carefully. One habit I hope you all don’t obtain is lying to your child. I’ve seen parents lie to their child to prevent them from persisting and nagging for what they want. It is essential to already educate them with honesty daily, and then when their old enough, they too will pass honesty.

Humans are intellectual at how to act and speak when telling a lie. Some are creative and often get away with it. In a study I found, there are different types of liars. Author Gaili Saltz, shares three types; white lies, pathological liars, and antisocial personality disorder. White lies are at the very least of our concern. Pathological liars love to avoid punishment. Appearance becomes their shining armor and they tend to lie their way out of things to protect themselves. Antisocial personality disorder is a more severe type of lying where it involves tampering the law. They enjoy continuing their deception, but the risk doesn’t last to long until punished. Keep note that it’s always good to remind yourself and your children to always come clean. No matter how bad the lie is, it’s always better to be honest. You’ll gain a lot from honesty and you’ll find yourself feeling wholesome.

For those who don’t believe in karma, you’ll come across of it sooner or later. The phrase “ what you want others to do onto you, you must do onto others”, literally takes into account on everyone’s life. “ I believe the most compelling reason to be honest at all times is to have it returned” (Paulino), an awe inspiring quote I am engaged to. Not everyone might think so, but I have seen it for myself. In fact, just this past fair event, I lost my phone on one of the benches in the eating area. It was 10 minutes later that I realized that I didn’t have it on me. Panicked and with lost hope, my friends and I went back to look. When finding the table we sat on occupied by an elderly couple, they both looked up to us and kindly returned it after asking if it really was mines. I thanked them over and over appreciating their sincerity. I think if it were kids on the table, I would’ve never got it back. Doing one good deed after another does do wonders when you need it the most. As honesty is always an effective character, the way you exhibit it differs. “ There’s a difference between being honest and blunt” (Kato). When it comes to telling the truth, the choice of words need to be taken into consideration. Sometimes we wish we could take back what we said, but what’s said is irreversible. For example, your friend asks for an opinion on their outfit. You think it looks hideous, but of course you’re not going to blurt that out. Instead you use a nicer phrase, “I think I can find something else that’ll match you better.” Your friend takes your support as a nice gesture rather then hate you for telling her that outfit is hideous. Everyone is sensitive with their feelings, so it is strongly preferred to use nice phrases rather then being straight up candid.

I’ve had my fair share of lying, some of which I got caught with. One lie I regret began with my parents. At that time, I was eighteen restricted under my father’s rules. One rule I didn’t like was having a curfew. Also, at that time, I had a relationship with someone on Oahu. I really wanted to go and visit, but knowing my dad, it was impossible. It was then that I lied. Altogether, I booked three round trip flights to Oahu to spend a day with my boyfriend at that time. My excuses to my parents were either I’m going to spend a day with my friends or I had to cover someone else’s shift. However, on my third trip to Oahu, I missed my flight. I was so scared, that my mind was scrambling for a way out of my lie. I knew it was impossible so I called my parents, told them and was grounded for quite a while. It took a while for me to gain their trust again, but when I did I never took advantage of it ever again.

Before I leave, I hope I’ve encouraged you that honesty gets you through a lot of factors. It’s a character we have flaws to, but trying not to spoil it is better then not trying at all. Keep what I said today pressed against you and act as young leaders and adults for the future generation.

Works Cited:
Kato, Jacclyn. “Honesty in Employment/White Lie, honesty.” 28 Oct.2011. Online posting to Laulima. Web. 31 Oct.2011.
Paulina, Mark. “Honesty in Employment/White Lie, honesty.” 28 Oct.2011. Online posting to Laulima. Web. 31 Oct.2011.
Quek, Timothy. "The Truth about a Child's Compulsive Lying." Dr. Timothy K. Quek's Webpage. 8 Apr. 2003 .
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/4072816#.Tq9DLWBRnZo.

No comments:

Post a Comment